What's new

What's your favorite "new to you" blends

MasterJoda

Back in January I got my first tin of Presbyterian Mixture . . . WOW. I love English and Balkan’s anyway, but for me this was the first time that I ever really tasted the orientals for what I’ve always heard them described as. I’ve been able to sense them in other blends but not really taste them, if that makes sense. (I just said sense twice in one sentance with two different meanings. #WordSmith :geek: )

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
“They’ll never discontinue Edgeworth. It’s been around for ages!”
If they ever discontinue PA, I'm gonna organize a march.

I've tried a bunch of new stuff lately, almost all of it pretty good. The one that sticks out right now is Poplar Camp. Sweet and spicy, easy to smoke, cheap. Not top-shelf, but nice simple stuff that I'm going to order more of.

I almost bought a tin of that a couple days ago. Have your thoughts changed at all since July, or do you still recommend it?
I still recommend it. A very distinctive tobacco to my tastes. Whatever the topping or casing is to me it smells and tastes like olives which is a good thing. Others have mentioned brandy. Only drawback is it's a plug and my technique with that cut is not great.

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
I have a few G&H blends that I have never tried due to scarcities of stock. Best Brown Flake No2, Ennerdale, Grasmere, Sweet Coconut twist, Coniston cut plug, Rich Dark Honeydew and Dark plug lead the charge and have been getting a lot of attention around here of late.
How do you like the Sweet Coconut Twist? I'm a big GH fan and have a box of RDH on the way, but was considering ordering some SCT as well. I really like their Sweet Maple Twist, if it's anything similar I might just bite the bullet and order a box.

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Sales
GLP Barbary Coast. @davidbeinct sent me some and I enjoyed it. Went digging around and had a jar that I’d dumped a 2oz tin into a couple years ago. Not sure why I never got around to trying it but now I’m glad somebody made me.
I've only smoked a handful of the Pease blends, but Barbary Coast is the best I've had. I love the Grape Nuts like cut, the topping and it packs a decent nicotine punch. It's a great morning smoke with a cup of coffee. It's a weekend must-do for me.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I've only smoked a handful of the Pease blends, but Barbary Coast is the best I've had. I love the Grape Nuts like cut, the topping and it packs a decent nicotine punch. It's a great morning smoke with a cup of coffee. It's a weekend must-do for me.
Same here. @davidbeinct described it as being a fancy codger blend, and that basically nails it for me. It’s good stuff.

Steve Wright

Blissfully unaware
Sales
How do you like the Sweet Coconut Twist? I'm a big GH fan and have a box of RDH on the way, but was considering ordering some SCT as well. I really like their Sweet Maple Twist, if it's anything similar I might just bite the bullet and order a box.
I haven’t had the Sweet Maple twist yet. I have a box on its way to me. So I can’t compare them but I do like the Sweet coconut Twist quite a bit. It is listed as an aromatic but it is not like any aromatic I have ever smoked. It is mildly Sweet tobacco as to not overpower the nutty/earthy/woody flavour of the Virginia. My pallet is as sensitive to all the little nuances as @JimInks i can’t detect a fig that’s 3 days past ripe. I’m mor of a like it/ don’t like it guy

Second mouse

In a fit of late winter boredom, I challenged myself to what I thought would be a soapy fruitbasket: G&H Cherry Cream Flake. Not only was it not soapy, it knocked out their Top Black Cherry as my favorite fruit blend. A half bowl lasted me over an hour, somehow. She who must be considered is definitely going to love it as well. Not for every day, and in a dedicated pipe, of course, but my trial ounce won't even make it into a jar. I wonder when the next drop of Lakelands will be made.

Olmstead

@Hunter Hughes - Maltese Falcon is delicious, although sometimes I find the Latakia a little overwhelming on my palette. Every so often I mix a 1:1 ratio of it with C&D's famous Old Joe Krantz, and that makes for one incredibly satisfying smoke.

As for my favorite recent favorite discoveries:
  • GH Bob's Chocolate Flake (had 3 pipefuls then bought a box)
  • GH Brown Flake Licorice (love at first puff, as with BCF)
  • D&S Trafalgar (another Pease brainchild; several great blends)
  • C&D Yorktown (a must-try for VA smokers)
  • MB HH Acadian Perique (almost like DH EM when aged a bit)
  • D&R Picayune (strong as an ox, but extremely flavorful)
Yes, I like variety! :sailor: