What's new

What's your favorite "new to you" blends

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
@Hunter Hughes - Maltese Falcon is delicious, although sometimes I find the Latakia a little overwhelming on my palette. Every so often I mix a 1:1 ratio of it with C&D's famous Old Joe Krantz, and that makes for one incredibly satisfying smoke.

As for my favorite recent favorite discoveries:
  • GH Bob's Chocolate Flake (had 3 pipefuls then bought a box)
  • GH Brown Flake Licorice (love at first puff, as with BCF)
  • D&S Trafalgar (another Pease brainchild; several great blends)
  • C&D Yorktown (a must-try for VA smokers)
  • MB HH Acadian Perique (almost like DH EM when aged a bit)
  • D&R Picayune (strong as an ox, but extremely flavorful)
Yes, I like variety! :sailor:
Any thoughts on Yorktown and how it is best? Tin vs bulk? Does it need to age/meld in the jar or tin before it comes into it’s own? I haven’t had good luck with C&D VA blends in the past 7 or 8 years or so and I want to try this one at its best to give it a fair shake.

Olmstead

Any thoughts on Yorktown and how it is best? Tin vs bulk? Does it need to age/meld in the jar or tin before it comes into it’s own? I haven’t had good luck with C&D VA blends in the past 7 or 8 years or so and I want to try this one at its best to give it a fair shake.
I bought 2oz in bulk on a total whim, and I was surprised by how good it was, as I too haven't been impressed with C&D Virginias in the recent past (except for red Virginias). I'd say that the bulk is a safe buy, but maybe jarring it and letting it get happy for a few months might take it to the next level. A tin is always a sure fire way to have the aromas of the leaf fully intact too, so I suppose it's a matter of preference. The bulk has been good to me though.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I bought 2oz in bulk on a total whim, and I was surprised by how good it was, as I too haven't been impressed with C&D Virginias in the recent past (except for red Virginias). I'd say that the bulk is a safe buy, but maybe jarring it and letting it get happy for a few months might take it to the next level. A tin is always a sure fire way to have the aromas of the leaf fully intact too, so I suppose it's a matter of preference. The bulk has been good to me though.
This helps a lot, thank you!

Islayphile

I am going to have to put Dunhill Navy Rolls on my personal shortlist of favorites. I thought that I preferred Escudo, but that may no longer be the case. This stuff just hums in the right pipe, and is a good balance of sweet and spicy. Sadly, I have only two tins in the cellar.
DDNR has a “richer” taste IMO.

I prefer it to Escudo but alas I missed my chance to acquire any to cellar.

Olmstead

[...] So far I prefer the SJ.
The name and description seems to allude to it containing the real deal; Perique from St. James Parish, unlike the Perique that's in almost all other blends. Since the annual output of the stuff is at an all-time low and because the price of a tin of Rimboche is so cheap, it makes me wonder.

Anyways, would you recommend Rimboche SJ to a Perique fan? Additionally, one reviewer said he found the Perique in it uniquely tasty, and more on the "dark fruity" side rather than being overly peppery. Would you say that's accurate?

kxg

Patron
The name and description seems to allude to it containing the real deal; Perique from St. James Parish, unlike the Perique that's in almost all other blends. Since the annual output of the stuff is at an all-time low and because the price of a tin of Rimboche is so cheap, it makes me wonder.

Anyways, would you recommend Rimboche SJ to a Perique fan? Additionally, one reviewer said he found the Perique in it uniquely tasty, and more on the "dark fruity" side rather than being overly peppery. Would you say that's accurate?
I like it but I’m no perique expert. Mark Ryan seems to have a special passion for perique and blends it well, in my opinion. Give it a try, what’s to lose?

What I find is if I smoke the SJ by itself, it is more fruity, but in a very good way. If I blend it 70/30, Sutliff 515 RC-1/ SJ (not my recipe), it has a spicier edge to it. A nice smoke, just surprising how the SJ shows up.