What's new

when the right pipe and the right tobacco come together in perfect harmony.

craig

I know this will probably open the proverbial can, but have any of you noticed that sometimes a tobacco just works wonders in a particular pipe?

I have been a fan of amphora for quite some time now and have always found it just works better in a wider shallower chamber.
I have introduced it to my savinelli 623 and by Jove what a combination.
cool, fragrant and flavourful.
not a hint of bite or warmth, it's just purring along nicely and I'm favouring every last draw.
this is what pipe smoking is about, and its one of them bowls that the only bad thing about it is when it will be finished.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Yes and it's often dumb luck that reveals the right magical combo.

My BST Oom Paul was dedicated to Va's and VaPers for years before I decided to put some WC Americano in it one day and then BLAMMO. That thing is an American English incinerating machine.

I only have a few pipes dedicated to specific blends (BST Canadian and #24, Piersel Bing and McCranie's RR, Herbaugh Bent Rhod and SLF...) but most of my pipes are dedicated to genres. I often wonder how many I have wrongly and unfairly sentenced.

PipeHaze

Yes, it's those times when everything lines up and works out just right to give you a great smoke. Again, what pipe smoking is all about. Then other times there is the other side of the spectrum when the combo is a horrible match and ruins the whole experience. My new Twain cob that I modded smokes VA and VaPers really well but it seems like it was made to smoke PS Luxury Navy Flake. It brings out the subtle sweetness and touch of spice like I never tasted before with that flake.

WalkinStick

Driving the Bandwagon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I only have a few pipes dedicated to specific blends (BST Canadian and #24, Piersel Bing and McCranie's RR, Herbaugh Bent Rhod and SLF...) but most of my pipes are dedicated to genres. I often wonder how many I have wrongly and unfairly sentenced.
Exactly this. I only have one dead set dedication anymore (BST ‘13 Xmas Billiard and #24) but most of mine are genre dedicated. Sometimes they change.

My white stemmed BST prince only saw VaPers and Vas until I decided to smoke Pegasus in it one day. It’s a Burley burning machine now.

craig

Exactly this. I only have one dead set dedication anymore (BST ‘13 Xmas Billiard and #24) but most of mine are genre dedicated. Sometimes they change.

My white stemmed BST prince only saw VaPers and Vas until I decided to smoke Pegasus in it one day. It’s a Burley burning machine now.
yes some combos are just a pairing yet others take a little bit of digging but when it happens it's a great feeling.

SmokeRings

Here's another fly in the ointment just in case we needed it, (yes I know we probably did not) how much of a given pipes ability to sing with a given blend when switched from another has to do with the fact that the pipe in question has a cake/ghost formed from the original blend, and would it have been/continue to be the same without the previous blend, or when the cake is sufficiently changed over time?

Kiowapipe

I've got a cob set aside for Ennerdale because... Ennerdale 😁

Then I've got this sweet little no-name prince shape that's for Escudo only. I have no idea why or when I made that decision, but I did, and now it's just how things are.

All my other pipes have to take whatever I throw at them. I've occasionally had half-hearted ideas about making some pipes for VAs, some for lat blends, etc, but I've never stuck to it.

That said, I don't think burleys and grassy VAs are better in cobs, but there's something about the combination that just feels right.

craig

Here's another fly in the ointment just in case we needed it, (yes I know we probably did not) how much of a given pipes ability to sing with a given blend when switched from another has to do with the fact that the pipe in question has a cake/ghost formed from the original blend, and would it have been/continue to be the same without the previous blend, or when the cake is sufficiently changed over time?
that's an interesting question and one I shall ponder.....talk about curveball lol