What's new

Which pipe cleaner has the thickest wire?

My favorite pipe cleaner is the B J Long tapered. I keep some Stanwells around for when I need a skinny cleaner. Occasionally, I wish I had a heavier wire gauge cleaner for when I need to "ram through". Suggestions please.

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
I use more of Dill's Pipe Cleaners but they aren't very sturdy or thick. When I need something thicker or with a heavier wire, I use Decatur pipe cleaners or bristle cleaners. I'm out of the bristle cleaners at the moment so I can't tell you the brand.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
Does a bristle cleaner scratch the inside of the stem??
certainly can, if you scrub it hard... while most pipes can take much more of a beating than you expect, the harder
the tool you're using, the less force you should apply when working with them.

However, I wouldn't expect to damage the inside of the stem unless you're actually scrubbing like
you would a dirty cast iron pan. A little common sense when working with a pipe usually answers
most of your concerns.

I must - again - encourage everyone to buy a pipe kit and carve one or 2 blocks themselves. once you've taken
sandpaper and a file to these hobby blocks, it sure teaches you what briar (and acrylic) will or will not tolerate.

soutso

certainly can, if you scrub it hard... while most pipes can take much more of a beating than you expect, the harder
the tool you're using, the less force you should apply when working with them.

However, I wouldn't expect to damage the inside of the stem unless you're actually scrubbing like
you would a dirty cast iron pan. A little common sense when working with a pipe usually answers
most of your concerns.

I must - again - encourage everyone to buy a pipe kit and carve one or 2 blocks themselves. once you've taken
sandpaper and a file to these hobby blocks, it sure teaches you what briar (and acrylic) will or will not tolerate.
I like bent pipes and I am ever so careful working a pipe cleaner through the stems. I cringe when I can feel the tip scraping the inside.
A slight bend in the pipe cleaner helps and I also slowly twist the cleaner as I run it through but you often scratch some small part. I bought some bristle cleaners to sample them but I have not been game enough to give it a go. I do admit to cleaning pretty thoroughly so I know I'll cause more grief than success.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
I cringe when I can feel the tip scraping the inside.
I know that feeling... it's like hurting your pipe! :eek:
The pipe cleaners I am using now have a rounded tip that seems not to scratch anything. They lose a bunch
of hair but pulling them through your fingers before use fixes that easily.
Unfortunately, these are most likely not sold in the usa.