• IMP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Good advice, that. I'm close to selling off a bunch of pipes i've collected, none of which i'm married to. There's a good chance i'd make enough to just go ahead and get me a top brand Meer. Thanks
It is excellent advice. If I ever decide to sell one of my Bakis to a PSD member, I'll include a cheap meer I have lying around so that the buyer can experience the difference between a stellar meer and a poor one. It'll be a simple and quick interactive learning experience. There's no sense in saving money and buying something you'll never smoke. Then you end up spending more to get what you were after in the first place.

Sinan Altinok

In business since 2002
I have the Altinok PSF POY, and a Baki.
Baki hands down!
Plus if you order from Altinok, remember that unless it says so, the pipe you are looking at is not necessarily the pipe you will get. Not major differences but you will notice.
I respectfully disagree sir. Any of the pipes on the site is the exact pipe you'd receive. They are all in stock as they are seen :giggle:

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
In my humble opinion, Baki is at the top.
S.Yanik is a close second followed by Peterson.

Here is a pic of my Peterson.
So jealous on that pipe! I brought that pipe back from Ireland for my uncle back in 1988. He loved that pipe! So did I. He passed over 15 years ago and no one knows what happened to his pipes, including that one.
I have been on a mission to find one since.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I respectfully disagree sir. Any of the pipes on the site is the exact pipe you'd receive. They are all in stock as they are seen :giggle:
Even though I understood your original practice, I think this is a good policy. No two handmade pipes can be exactly alike and some buyers see something in a pic that strikes them enough to purchase. Then if that something is even slightly off, it takes the joy out of the purchase, and returns are difficult due to the distance. So I think your current practice is a good one.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
In response to the original question, I think Baki overall makes the most consistently good pipes. That said, I have a couple of Altinoks that I won't part with at any price, some Baglans that are above reproach (they have to be full bents, though - otherwise I can't clench them... Baglan must use really dense meerschaum for his figurals), the Medet Kara that I love, a few treasured IMP's, some great Yaniks (although some smoke pretty badly) and pipes by the Gezer boys that are awesome.

With meerschaum, you have to be a bit careful with purchases. Baki is one brand that consistently delivers. I'd put IMP and Altinok up there as well, as long as I don't get the nylon-type stems. Cheaping out doesn't work for me. So if I pay a premium price for an Altinok or IMP, I can expect the same quality as a Baki.

I remember when CAO and SMS were THE players in meerschaum pipes. Now they don't even make the cut for me. I have one SMS that has been surgically repaired to smoke great and one CAO that Ismet Bekler carved especially for me that I'll keep forever. But I rarely smoke it.

JerseyPiper

I had a Pete from the Sherlock Holmes series that used a block second to none. But I thought I could get used to a P lip stem. Alas, I could not.
My first meer was a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker. It smokes great, but it the coloring is really weird. Its all mottled and dirty looking - has these greyish blue lines developing. They almost look like stains. I've ran hundreds and hundreds of smokes through it, and the base color is still only "off-white".

My local B&M actually has a few of these Sherlock Holmes meers left in stock. If they weren't so expensive I'd grab another just for the quality of smoke alone.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
My first meer was a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker. It smokes great, but it the coloring is really weird. Its all mottled and dirty looking - has these greyish blue lines developing. They almost look like stains. I've ran hundreds and hundreds of smokes through it, and the base color is still only "off-white".
Some meers do color weird and some color very little. I have an example of both, and both are great pipes (I have a Baki with weird coloration and an IMP that hasn't really made it to even off-white after all these years). Natural mineral with a very definite grain structure that, I believe, leads to the color patterns.

Try rewaxing your Pete and see what that does.

JerseyPiper

Some meers do color weird and some color very little. I have an example of both, and both are great pipes (I have a Baki with weird coloration and an IMP that hasn't really made it to even off-white after all these years). Natural mineral with a very definite grain structure that, I believe, leads to the color patterns.

Try rewaxing your Pete and see what that does.
I'm afraid to try this on the Pete. I bought an estate SMS army mount meerschaum off ebay before with the intention of "sprucing up". It looked like the prior owner would dig his nails into it while he smoked or something - was really in rough shape. I had to sand it down and then re-apply beeswax. The shank part wasn't in bad shape, and was really colored nicely. I waxed that part anyway, and as soon as the hot beeswax touched, the nice coloring started to erase away. Never again!

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I'm afraid to try this on the Pete. I bought an estate SMS army mount meerschaum off ebay before with the intention of "sprucing up". It looked like the prior owner would dig his nails into it while he smoked or something - was really in rough shape. I had to sand it down and then re-apply beeswax. The shank part wasn't in bad shape, and was really colored nicely. I waxed that part anyway, and as soon as the hot beeswax touched, the nice coloring started to erase away. Never again!
Hmmm... that's not normal. What happens when I wax is that the entire pipe becomes darker (if there's any coloration to begin with) and then as soon as I start smoking it, the color starts to fade but it never gets lighter than what it was before I rewaxed. Then the color starts to darken faster. Your experience is a first, as far as I've ever heard.

JerseyPiper

Hmmm... that's not normal. What happens when I wax is that the entire pipe becomes darker (if there's any coloration to begin with) and then as soon as I start smoking it, the color starts to fade but it never gets lighter than what it was before I rewaxed. Then the color starts to darken faster. Your experience is a first, as far as I've ever heard.
That shank was a shiny dark brown before i waxed. The method I used for waxing was to put the Beeswax pellets on a paper towel, heat it up with a blow drier, and then rub it on. It felt like the patina rubbed right off from the heat.

I have an ongoing suspicion/beleif that a meers coloring is a purely external thing with the outside being colored by ambient smoke. :tinfoil: Who knows, lol.

Attachments