What's new

Why is Pipe Tobacco so Moist?

In my case, no, I've rarely had tongue bite and then it was some damn awful OTC blend. I'm sure it does for others though.
I think a lot of what we call tongue bite is actually steam burn..i don't think they are the same.......seems i remember that tongue bite is due to PH content.......fire, damp tobacco, robust puffing can only produce steam...that is how i learned to sip patiently <<wry grin>>..dang a bunch of creamy smoke clouds..i value the inside of my mouth...((beside the fact that i get more flavor when sipped sedately)

Brit abroad

I think a lot of what we call tongue bite is actually steam burn..i don't think they are the same.......seems i remember that tongue bite is due to PH content.......fire, damp tobacco, robust puffing can only produce steam...that is how i learned to sip patiently <<wry grin>>..dang a bunch of creamy smoke clouds..i value the inside of my mouth...((beside the fact that i get more flavor when sipped sedately)
Ok, I get it, the slow down, sip, gentle puffs etc, moisture equals steam therefore tongue bite, and for some, especially someone who is new to pipe smoking.
I guess I'm just lucky, as a rule I smoke a small handful of blends GH&Co Dark Flake/Plug, Condor Long Cut or Plug, Irish Flake and a good deal of other Lakeland Tobaccos, all of which I do not dry intentionally, they do however dry over time in my tobacco pouch,pocket or even jar when the contents are low, I've never sipped at a pipe, I don't think, I just smoke it, I stick it in my gob, get it lit with however many lights it takes and have at it, I just smoke, because I'm a pipe smoker. This may seem like a rant aimed at you,its not so my apologies, my point is and the reason I started this thread was to tease out opinions for the beginner so that could decide for themselves on how to deal with their tobacco @dmkerr as bloody usual is right, for most.

Last edited:

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
At least when it comes to flakes, I’ve found looser packing more important than drying.

I know folks who swear by the crispy thing, but to me it becomes flavorless and actually more likely to burn due to sheer heat of the burning tobacco.

So I suppose while I’ve learned the packing and cadence for moiiiiist tobacco, I’ve not for crispy, nor have I been inclined.

I don’t really smoke much ribbon. Rough cut / ready rubbed rules sort of follow flake.