What's new

Why is Pipe Tobacco so Moist?

Kentos

The bite I get from tobacco seems to be when the smoke coming from the bowl reeks of ammonia. Also when using a balsa filter the sipping wet balsa also smells of ammonia. Ammonia is alkaline too so...
I also get the same aroma from the burning end of a cigar, so it might just be a by product of burning some types of tobacco.

RedScot

Isn't it funny how that simple a thread can go on for pages and pages?
This is also why piping is so hard for nanny-staters to quantify. Each pipe, each tobacco, each puff is a tremendously subjective thing - so dependent on the individual piper. There may be general trends, sure, but piping is not measurable the way some other forms of tobacco consumption are.

cajunrph

Keep calm and smoke on
Patron
I pulled out a can of Capstan Blue I had opened years ago and didn't jar. It was DAC tobacco to use @RedScot nomenclature. I folded and stuffed a few pieces in the pipe. It was a very pleasant smoke. I figured it would burn too fast. I rehydrated some Escudo I had opened years ago and smoked it. It was ok. But not as good as the Cap Blue. My best smoke of late is a few years old opened cans of GLP Sixpence and and McClelland Anniversary. Both opened upwards of 4 years ago. And drying in the can ever since.

I hardly ever dry anything. Only due to my smoking is usually a spur of the moment decision as my smoking opportunities are few and far in between. I'm still a rookie learning the correct cadence and I get tongue bite as a result. I did dry out, or at least attempt to dry out, Molto Dolce last weekend. I left it out for almost 18 hours. It was still wet when I packed it in the pipe. I touched the hell out of my whole mouth and throat on that one. I'm not sure when I'll even try that one again.

RedScot

I pulled out a can of Capstan Blue I had opened years ago and didn't jar. It was DAC tobacco to use @RedScot nomenclature. I folded and stuffed a few pieces in the pipe. It was a very pleasant smoke. I figured it would burn too fast. I rehydrated some Escudo I had opened years ago and smoked it. It was ok. But not as good as the Cap Blue. My best smoke of late is a few years old opened cans of GLP Sixpence and and McClelland Anniversary. Both opened upwards of 4 years ago. And drying in the can ever since.

I hardly ever dry anything. Only due to my smoking is usually a spur of the moment decision as my smoking opportunities are few and far in between. I'm still a rookie learning the correct cadence and I get tongue bite as a result. I did dry out, or at least attempt to dry out, Molto Dolce last weekend. I left it out for almost 18 hours. It was still wet when I packed it in the pipe. I touched the hell out of my whole mouth and throat on that one. I'm not sure when I'll even try that one again.
I've parboiled my tongue once or twice too, brother. I know exactly how that feels. I still get bit like that occasionally, usually because I'm not paying attention to my cadence while I'm working and I get to puffing too hard, too fast. Goopy blends with a lot of humectants - like PG - are the worst.
The only solution is to cultivate a "softer" approach to things. Sips, not puffs, and only quickly enough to keep the thing lit. I go through more matches than I used to, but I don't get scalded as often either.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
The only solution is to cultivate a "softer" approach to things. Sips, not puffs, and only quickly enough to keep the thing lit. I go through more matches than I used to, but I don't get scalded as often either.
it's kind of funny how some blends can do with excessive moisture while others can't.

Dunhill EMP I've opened a tin 4 weeks ago and it just doesn't seem to dry in the tin even though I don't screw the lid on very tight.
maybe I just need to air it out a bit, but it smokes to ash without any problems. sure there's some sizzeling going on that's telling
me I should've dried it some (as does the touch tell me when I fill my pipe), but I slow my puffs down just a little and I'm doing fine.

Now I've had a DTM gooper (devil's holiday) again after a while and even after half a year in the opened tin, this tobacco is
wet as can be. If you're trying to smoke this as wet as it comes, you can slow your puffing all you want: at some point, the thing
will just be soggy and hard to keep lit. I dumped the rest and proceeded to smoke a balkan. that was too much sweetness for me anyways.