What's new

Wind caps

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
Excellent. I was browsing these pipes at lunch and noticed there are quite a few shapes that look similar.

Is yours an Oom Paul Shape 620?

The Shape 613 and 614 look similar, but do not as straight a line at the front of the bowl. I prefer the Oom Paul shape.
Yep. The image above is the 620. Think of it as a mini Oom Paul or Savinellis version of Peterson's Dutch Billard shape.

Here's my 613.

The bowl is a little small for spring ,summer and fall dog walks but perfect once the temp drops for winter 😉

Back on topic. My vehicle is a jeep that has the top, doors and windows off for summer. That's another instance where the wind caps are needed.

SmokeRings

Yep. The image above is the 620. Think of it as a mini Oom Paul or Savinellis version of Peterson's Dutch Billard shape.

Here's my 613.

The bowl is a little small for spring ,summer and fall dog walks but perfect once the temp drops for winter 😉

Back on topic. My vehicle is a jeep that has the top, doors and windows off for summer. That's another instance where the wind caps are needed.
Can't even begin to describe how much of a sucker I am for bent billiard pete's in the system line, far and away my prettiest pipe is my deluxe in that shape, boy that one you got is a looker, wonderful choice

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
Can't even begin to describe how much of a sucker I am for bent billiard pete's in the system line, far and away my prettiest pipe is my deluxe in that shape, boy that one you got is a looker, wonderful choice
Thanks! I have 5 Savinelli Dry Systems and they all smoke superbly! I also have 5 Peterson Systems and love them as well. It turns out I'm a System Man. If I knew that 20 years ago...

Enjoy!

SmokeRings

Thanks! I have 5 Savinelli Dry Systems and they all smoke superbly! I also have 5 Peterson Systems and love them as well. It turns out I'm a System Man. If I knew that 20 years ago...

Enjoy!
I think I'm writing that into my will as something I want on my tombstone..."If I only knew that 20 years ago..." - The Story of His Life...lol

tipofthelake

New place same face
Patron
Thread resurrection to ask a question. While out earlier I found that I had to keep lightly tamping and relighting because the blowing snow was killing the ember. I ended up just carrying the pipe with my hand cupped over the bowl, but my preference when walking with the pup is to keep my hands free. Does anyone have snow related experience with windcaps? I'm thinking it would just melt and drip, but I have no firsthand experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread resurrection to ask a question. While out earlier I found that I had to keep lightly tamping and relighting because the blowing snow was killing the ember. I ended up just carrying the pipe with my hand cupped over the bowl, but my preference when walking with the pup is to keep my hands free. Does anyone have snow related experience with windcaps? I'm thinking it would just melt and drip, but I have no firsthand experience.
I don't run into any snow-related trouble with wind caps, but I usually wear a brimmed hat in the snow.

tipofthelake

New place same face
Patron
I must load really loose. Any time I’ve done that, half the tobacco falls out.
I've tried it before when I got caught in an short downpour and had no problem (so why it didn't occur to me earlier is beyond me) but if I were smoking something that I wanted to leave expansion room for I could see it being a concern. I sometimes load bosun fairly loose after having dealt with a few plugs. Smoking ribbon I pack a bit tighter.