What's new

Work in Progress

Adam Bybee

Currently dialing in the shape on a saxophone themed pipe for a one of my best friends who plays the Sax in a few bands.

A number of artisans have done shapes that they call "saxophones", but I wanted to try something a little different.

To increase the aspect ratio of the pipe and make it closer in form to the instrument itself I decided to construct it in multiple segments.

The lower segment is drilled much like a peterson system pipe, containing the tobacco chamber and a "system" chamber behind it in the shank.
The middle segment is drilled fairly open and connects with the lower segment via a typical delrin tenon fit.
The stem is just black ebonite, which I thought appropriate considering Sax mouthpieces are made of...black ebonite.

I'll probably make a display stand of some sort as well, particularly considering the guy I'm making it for is a very occasional pipe smoker and I'm imagining it's going to have much more use as a neat curio than a tool.

IMG_20180930_140432515.jpg

Currently dialing in the shape on a saxophone themed pipe for a one of my best friends who plays the Sax in a few bands.

A number of artisans have done shapes that they call "saxophones", but I wanted to try something a little different.

To increase the aspect ratio of the pipe and make it closer in form to the instrument itself I decided to construct it in multiple segments.

The lower segment is drilled much like a peterson system pipe, containing the tobacco chamber and a "system" chamber behind it in the shank.
The middle segment is drilled fairly open and connects with the lower segment via a typical delrin tenon fit.
The stem is just black ebonite, which I thought appropriate considering Sax mouthpieces are made of...black ebonite.

I'll probably make a display stand of some sort as well, particularly considering the guy I'm making it for is a very occasional pipe smoker and I'm imagining it's going to have much more use as a neat curio than a tool.

View attachment 14375
Love that shape, looks good so far. One of my favorite versions is the Alpha Citation Sax.

Maddis

Sales
Sales

View attachment 14375
Seems like a thread for works in progress would make sense for this sub-forum. I’ll start... View attachment 14277
Dig it! Are you gonna try to represent a reed?

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron

View attachment 14375
That is great work. I can't wait to see this finished.