Work in Progress

dimik

A Cob-Loving Neuroscientist
I like cobs, but I wouldn't go that far
I think it just depends on personal preferences. I personally think that clay is the best pipe material, but clay pipes just aren’t as practical. I bet tobacco preferences play a role as well, as some blends just smoke better in one, but not the other. For me, personally, given my tastes and preferences, cobs are faaaar superior to briar in terms of flavor and quality of the smoke, especially the dryness of the smoke. There are a bunch of folks like that. The important thing is that we all get to enjoy the pipes we like.

Cramptholomew

It's, like, Phyllis Diller funny.
Sales
I like briar. It’s good. It can be elegant, or muscular, and everything in between. You could drill briar wide open, and get the draw of a factory cob. I don’t drill my own QUITE that wide, but you’ll never feel like your sucking a Wendy’s Frosty through a straw, either. I have one cob left that I smoke, made by @Mrm1775, and that’s because it’s one of the most elegant cobs I’ve seen.

I guess I also have respect and admiration for briar, as well. It grows for years in unfriendly soil. It makes its way around obstacles, sometimes enveloping them. It’s a beautiful material, and when you get the right piece, it’s just remarkable. For a pipe maker, it can be the bringer of extreme joy, or total frustration.

dimik

I like briar. It’s good. It can be elegant, or muscular, and everything in between. You could drill briar wide open, and get the draw of a factory cob. I don’t drill my own QUITE that wide, but you’ll never feel like your sucking a Wendy’s Frosty through a straw, either. I have one cob left that I smoke, made by @Mrm1775, and that’s because it’s one of the most elegant cobs I’ve seen.

I guess I also have respect and admiration for briar, as well. It grows for years in unfriendly soil. It makes its way around obstacles, sometimes enveloping them. It’s a beautiful material, and when you get the right piece, it’s just remarkable. For a pipe maker, it can be the bringer of extreme joy, or total frustration.
Briar is a great material. And when it comes to esthetics, it’s a clear winner in the world of pipes. Hands down. But that’s where it stops for me. It’s not the draw that I care about, though I do prefer a wider smoke channel, it’s about the porosity and the ability to draw and release water and tars. Hence my affinity for the cob, as I virtually care nothing for the way a pipe I smoke looks. I think of them as tools, not jewelry. Just putting in a briar plug changes the way a cob behaves completely, which is why none of the ones I use have one. Though I think most people like pretty looking pipes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different tastes and all that.

Mrm1775

Sales
I think it just depends on personal preferences. I personally think that clay is the best pipe material, but clay pipes just aren’t as practical. I bet tobacco preferences play a role as well, as some blends just smoke better in one, but not the other. For me, personally, given my tastes and preferences, cobs are faaaar superior to briar in terms of flavor and quality of the smoke, especially the dryness of the smoke. There are a bunch of folks like that. The important thing is that we all get to enjoy the pipes we like.
I'm not knocking you for your preference.
I mod a lot of cobs and I smoke cobs.
I prefer a white oak, maple or walnut plug.
I agree about the way a cob smokes and its ability to give a great dry, smooth and flavorful smoke. I have a little Italian briar dublin that thinks it's a cob in that respect 😆

I like cobs when I'm working, I don't have to pay much attention at all.
If I'm doing anything other than working on something I want a briar.

Each person has their own preference and reason for it.
I love cobs, but the more time that goes by the dearer briar becomes to me.

Now with all of that said, I have a drawer of at least 30 cobs. I need to do some mods if I can ever get my hands away from briar.

dimik

I'm not knocking you for your preference.
I mod a lot of cobs and I smoke cobs.
I prefer a white oak, maple or walnut plug.
I agree about the way a cob smokes and its ability to give a great dry, smooth and flavorful smoke. I have a little Italian briar dublin that thinks it's a cob in that respect 😆

I like cobs when I'm working, I don't have to pay much attention at all.
If I'm doing anything other than working on something I want a briar.

Each person has their own preference and reason for it.
I love cobs, but the more time that goes by the dearer briar becomes to me.

Now with all of that said, I have a drawer of at least 30 cobs. I need to do some mods if I can ever get my hands away from briar.
White oak and maple are totally the way to go for a plug, as far as I’m concerned. I’ve done olive, but haven’t smoked those. Morta is pretty alright too, especially if you’re going to smoke Kentucky out of that cob. But yeah, we all have our preferences. I started out liking briars and as the time passes, I just go further and further from them. I don’t hate them by any means. They just don’t satisfy me either when working, or just sitting quietly and enjoying a pipe.

massis

On the home stretch now :)

1638515097884.png

I turned another stummel while waiting on stuff to dry and cure. I learned an already known lesson - keep your hands away from spinning stuff.
I reached in to sand and I think I got a wee bit too close.
Thankfully no injuries
We all get stummelwhacked every now and then ;-) I'll have you know that a stummel hurts a lot less then briar holding steel jaws.

Top Bottom