Work in Progress

Cramptholomew

Cannot agree with this more. I have had a couple of guys in the shop leaning the fine points of making a pipe, and my version of that is “ Use a file and sneak up to that line (or surface).” - probably my second most used verbal expression, right behind “What the f**k do you think thats going to do?” 😀😃😄😁😆
DocAitch
I seem to remember, "Stop! DON'T DO THAT!", more than anything else...
:)

Maddis

Sales
In the ongoing search for the “perfect” brown on a sandblast, this pot and I have been spending time together.

You’ll notice if you look closely at blasted pipes, very few are a solid medium brown. They tend toward tan/yellow, shades of red, or chocolate brown. 8C9A4E02-82D8-48E6-9957-61CB879C19E7.jpeg

RickB

No. 😁 That’s the one thing pipemakers tend to keep close to the vest. It’s a lot of trial and error. I’ve gotten (and shared) snippets here and there, but only with people I’ve developed relationships with.
What's funny though is that after playing with and testing stains on blasts for like the last 10 or 15 pipes and maybe 15 or 20 before that, I bet I have a pretty decent guess - enough to say I think I really love using at least one of those colors, anyway 😂

Been a minute since I've posted in here, so here's a commission that I'm not quite in the final stretch of but I'm rounding third, anyway. Really excited to see how it blasts up.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200213211356315_COVER.jpg

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
What's funny though is that after playing with and testing stains on blasts for like the last 10 or 15 pipes and maybe 15 or 20 before that, I bet I have a pretty decent guess - enough to say I think I really love using at least one of those colors, anyway 😂

Been a minute since I've posted in here, so here's a commission that I'm not quite in the final stretch of but I'm rounding third, anyway. Really excited to see how it blasts up.
View attachment 53417
I think this year is the year I buy a @RickB pipe.

That’s awesome, man.

RickB

I think this year is the year I buy a @RickB pipe.

That’s awesome, man.
Thanks so much! I'm uh... I guess "officially" open for business finally, so let's make that happen!

Much appreciated!

Will you put any bend in the stem?
Yessir, a little bit but not nearly enough to be like... technically correct. I've been playing around a little with starting the bend a little bit the wrong way and then bending just a little harder in the right direction to kind of carry that momentum upward a bit further.