Work in Progress

Like a Cavalier? I could get behind that.
Kramerica Enterprises (3/23/2020) envisions a large, full bent pipe ala saxophone, Oom Paul, with a windcap/tamper/spit valve system. In one push you can tamp, close off the bowl, open a valve and blow out the condensation. Ideal for jam sessions and lunting. Agreed that “Thelonius Monkfish” is a great working description. Are there any photos of Monk smoking?

Kramerica Enterprises (3/23/2020) envisions a large, full bent pipe ala saxophone, Oom Paul, with a windcap/tamper/spit valve system. In one push you can tamp, close off the bowl, open a valve and blow out the condensation. Ideal for jam sessions and lunting. Agreed that “Thelonius Monkfish” is a great working description. Are there any photos of Monk smoking?
That would be a feat of engineering. Might require a harmonica holder.

Photo? Like this?

N80

Just ruined a Rhodesian I was making. Got a catch on the lathe and it took a big chunk right out of the rim. Nothing left to recover. Really frustrated right now. It was a nice plateau and I had it oriented so perfectly with flame grain up the sides and tons of tight little eyes on top. Not even sure what I did wrong but have an idea. It wasn't even that much of a catch. Sigh.

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Patron
Finally getting a minute to finish this demi-churchwarden thing. I still don't love the stem material but it was the commissioner's specific choice so...eh, ya know. Overall it looks pretty decent I think.
View attachment 57067
The stummel is gorgeous! I don't dig the stem either but to each their own. Cool shape and is that artisan silver work? Shoot dawg

RickB

Things looking a little better today. Got this one off the lathe without any drama. Sadly, its got lots of pits and is nowhere near as nice a block as the one I ruined.

View attachment 57041
New one looks good! Did you toss the one that you had the catch on? I almost wonder if you couldn't pull the top down more and make it a little tomato or something, but I'm also *really* bad about trying to salvage all the things instead of just cutting my losses.

N80

New one looks good! Did you toss the one that you had the catch on? I almost wonder if you couldn't pull the top down more and make it a little tomato or something, but I'm also *really* bad about trying to salvage all the things instead of just cutting my losses.
Me too. I will usually try anything I can just to make a smokeable device. It must be my Scottish heritage. But when I say "chunk" it was not just a gouge. It was a wedge shaped hunk of wood with the pointy end extending down the bowl, which is one of the reasons I thought it might could have been a crack in the briar. Anyway, I immediately took it over to the sander to do just what you recommended but by the time I got the bowl sanded down below the defect there was very little chamber left at all.

RickB

Me too. I will usually try anything I can just to make a smokeable device. It must be my Scottish heritage. But when I say "chunk" it was not just a gouge. It was a wedge shaped hunk of wood with the pointy end extending down the bowl, which is one of the reasons I thought it might could have been a crack in the briar. Anyway, I immediately took it over to the sander to do just what you recommended but by the time I got the bowl sanded down below the defect there was very little chamber left at all.
Carp. Sucks man, but definitely happens.