Work in Progress

N80

Here is a Tsuge inspired Rhodesian I'm working on. It is big and hefty but matches the dimensions of the original I'm copying. Scatter small sand pits around but the flame grain is to pretty to rusticate. Would make a good blast (the original is a blast) but I don't have a sandblaster.

I wonder if there is something between typical rustication and blasting. I've tried a wire wheel on scraps but it mostly just makes it look un-sanded rather than giving it any interest.

The stem will have a slight bend.

I am also thinking about putting a tiny flat spot on the bottom of the bowl to make it sit as it will almost balance itself already. I'll finish the stem first of course to make sure I get the balance point right.

IMG_1698.jpg IMG_1699.jpg

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Here is a Tsuge inspired Rhodesian I'm working on. It is big and hefty but matches the dimensions of the original I'm copying. Scatter small sand pits around but the flame grain is to pretty to rusticate. Would make a good blast (the original is a blast) but I don't have a sandblaster.

I wonder if there is something between typical rustication and blasting. I've tried a wire wheel on scraps but it mostly just makes it look un-sanded rather than giving it any interest.

I am also thinking about putting a tiny flat spot on the bottom of the bowl to make it sit as it will almost balance itself already. I'll finish the stem first of course to make sure I get the balance point right.

View attachment 66233 View attachment 66234
I‘m really looking forward to the finished pipe. I like this a lot.

Maybe partially rusticating is an option if you go for something like @Robert Perkins rustications?

Swede

Rodfather

Misty, Fetch !

iI think it is beautiful the way it is, warts and all. Since you don’t have a blaster I would finish it smooth, I my military mind to rustIcate it would ruin it. I hate pips that have been partially rusticated, you know they are hiding something. One of my favorite shapes.

Maddis

Sales
How large of a lathe do you need to turn?
I have the Jet min lathe packed up here somewhere, if it is large enough I thought about over the winter trying my hand with a pipe kit.
If I remember correctly I think the capacity on it is 15-1/2" Between Center 10” Swing.
A lot of people start on the Jet Mini or similar. I did. It can be done. Over time, most people find that they need something more stable, versatile, and capable of wider swings.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
How large of a lathe do you need to turn?
I have the Jet min lathe packed up here somewhere, if it is large enough I thought about over the winter trying my hand with a pipe kit.
If I remember correctly I think the capacity on it is 15-1/2" Between Center 10” Swing.
I've turned pipes on an antique 6" lathe. You might want to check the swing on your's again, most mini lathes are under 10".
The one I use now is a 10" x 30" and it's no mini. LOL! It aint an engine lathe either, more of a gunsmiths lathe.
DSC06256.JPG

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales

Nice one sir, if you want to use a wire wheel I suggest torching the stummel (carefully) and then use the wheel.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
I've turned pipes on an antique 6" lathe. You might want to check the swing on your's again, most mini lathes are under 10".
The one I use now is a 10" x 30" and it's no mini. LOL! It aint an engine lathe either, more of a gunsmiths lathe.
View attachment 66431

Wow....that is awesome.

Yeah the diameter is small, I used it to turn small pens and ornaments and little things, I think there is but maybe 4 to maybe 4.5” ” max from the center down to the bed...you would think I would remember or it wold be easy to find on the great google, but I cannot....one thread on a forum said they turned a 9.5” bowl...so I am in the ball park.
I need to dig it out anyway because I need to turn some replacement wood pieces for an old clock.