What's new

You guys still burning holes in shirts.

Richard

Fundamentally Unsound
Patron
Burning holes in shirts is something I just don’t understand. I have been smoking a pipe since I was 18 and I am 64 now and I have never once burned a whole in a shirt, jacket, sweater or coat. What am I doing wrong?
I'd say you're concentrating too much on the mechanics of smoking, and not getting lost in your head and doing stupid carp like I do. I stand in awe and amazement of guys like you.

RazorBlast

If you're a guy and you want to maintain your current rank of machismo, make sure vests you're looking at has the buttons/snaps on the right hand side. Womens buttons/snaps are on the left side. A really silly differentiation. I don't know why. Maybe someone here can tell me.
The reason was in antiquity it was fashionable for women to be dressed by their servants, so they put womens buttons on the other side to make it easier for right handed maidens to button the clothes. At least that's the way I heard it.

Sentient.

Nearly lifelike.
Patron
If you're a guy and you want to maintain your current rank of machismo, make sure vests you're looking at has the buttons/snaps on the right hand side. Womens buttons/snaps are on the left side. A really silly differentiation. I don't know why. Maybe someone here can tell me.
It's so us men can easily undo their stuff. It's what I always thought, anyway.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
Check out leather vests on ebay. I have 4 and didn't pay more than $15.00 for any of them! It's a cheap fix and you're looking good. They run on the small side. I have a couple of "mediums" that really should be "small" so buy with that in mind.

Best regards.
Randall. aka. OBD.
And you can blacksmith on the side. Just kidding.....I really like those.

icerunoff

Dirigo
Patron
At this point I have a small wardrobe of "smoking clothes", i.e. shirts and pants with smoking holes in them. My wife now reminds me to watch what I'm wearing when I light up. Most of the damaged clothes now are yard work/weekend clothes, meaning I am often better dressed smoking a pipe at the grill on Saturday afternoon, than I am on Sunday morning, ha!

Jhelms

I'd say you're concentrating too much on the mechanics of smoking, and not getting lost in your head and doing stupid carp like I do. I stand in awe and amazement of guys like you.
I think I understand now. Simply put, I am not feeling the Chi, that which gives life. It is now evident that I have been trying too hard. I guess I just have not been one with the pipe and the tobacco. I need to accomplish that zen-like state. I am going to rush home from work today and put on my oldest and most treasured flannel shirt and then allow my brain to leave through my stupid and I quote, "carp like" cranium as I light my pipe. My brain will float above my body like the smoke from my pipe, pulling with it, ash and embers. Hopefully, if I am lucky and I lose myself fully and completely in the moment, I will not only burn holes in my shirt but also singe my beard and leave a few minor pock marks in my face. Oh, I can't wait. This is going to be great. Thank you @Richard. I feel the understanding surging through my body. :beerchug::goodjob: @Ol Brokedik , a master I shall be.

Sentient.

Nearly lifelike.
Patron
I think I understand now. Simply put, I am not feeling the Chi, that which gives life. It is now evident that I have been trying too hard. I guess I just have not been one with the pipe and the tobacco. I need to accomplish that zen-like state. I am going to rush home from work today and put on my oldest and most treasured flannel shirt and then allow my brain to leave through my stupid and I quote, "carp like" cranium as I light my pipe. My brain will float above my body like the smoke from my pipe, pulling with it, ash and embers. Hopefully, if I am lucky and I lose myself fully and completely in the moment, I will not only burn holes in my shirt but also singe my beard and leave a few minor pock marks in my face. Oh, I can't wait. This is going to be great. Thank you @Richard. I feel the understanding surging through my body. :beerchug::goodjob: @Ol Brokedik , a master I shall be.
Now you've got it.

JustScott

I was so proud of myself, about a year and a half ago. I had never burned any clothing at all, shirt or pants or jacket, from smoking. I mentioned it to my wife one day. Shortly after that, I had burned a small hole in one of each, and pretty soon after that I had multiple holes in my smoking shirt. Possibly I had just been lucky, but I think it was that I had changed my smoking venue, and the wind in the backyard (because of houses and etc.) is much less predictable. That's how it happens, I will have just lit the pipe and the tobacco is blooming (oh, and Haunted Bookshop is pretty bad about it, as said above... All the Runowski blends are, the man liked his cube cut), and just about the time it's up to the peak of expansion, the wind comes, or it flips 180*, or there's just an unexplainable stray gust, like it was just for the purpose of blowing an ember at me or something. Most of the time, either they will go out on the way down or I can smack them before damage is done, but they are pretty good at hiding in wrinkles or getting between layers. The first ones, I didn't even notice happening. Now I notice, and I try not to set myself on fire, but all the clothes I smoke in have holes, so I don't worry too much.