You people!!!

Andy

So after lurking and reading here and anywhere else i could scour information from I set off to buy my first pipe. My friend had lent me his cob pipe and although a little worn (pardon the pun, gave me my first tase for pipes.) Ive been rolling and stuffing my own for about 15 or so years and that left me with no idea as to the plethora of options out there. Somehow i ended up with about 12 or so 4oz pouches of different flavored/style tobacco and then I went looking for a decent pipe that i wouldn't be upset about if i messed up so i grabbed a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes and a Savenelli "beginner" pipe. Anyway.... I ended up with 3 cob pipes (in case i loose, break or give them away) and what started as this......
A21110E9-1449-417B-8315-C4402024F227.jpeg

Turned out into this....
651396CC-7402-4B03-A03B-A3D10AC18BBD.jpeg

And this,
0D449024-2B7F-4D9B-90FC-6D693B1BC62F.jpeg

so now i have a ton of tobacco, supplies and cleaning stuff and my bank account thanks you.

:noob::startle:

Edit: I'm sorry, i tried to set them as thumbnails but full sized pics AND thumbnails came out.

P.s. I'm rather enjoying this pastime so far. Thank all of you.

Andy

Oh, BTW. I'm not touching that 4th gen till i get the hang of this. I'm terrified about ruining it. I was just afraid i'd not see grain like that again anytime soon.

Welcome, you look like you are off and running.

Good luck!
Off and plodding, LOL.Thank you.

Great start! Those cobs aren't just "disposable" ... they actually offer one of the easiest and best smokes out there. Enjoy!
Darin, I wasn't thinking of them as disposable, more as in, if i burn, char, break or otherwise ruin one of these I'm not going to be anywhere near as upset as if i i royally messed up a more expensive one. I hope that makes sense.

cigrmaster

I have been saying the same thing for almost 20 years. Your first pipe should be a really good pipe like a Savinelli that goes for 80-150. My first pipe was a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 in an apple shape. It had a nice wide open draw. It had nice thick walls. It never gurgled if you dried your tobacco properly and I never used a filter or an adaptor if it came with one, I am not sure it was so long ago.

You want a really nice pipe which will give you a baseline as to how a good pipe is supposed to smoke like. How do you know if you are smoking a piece of carp if you have not smoked a proper pipe. You need to learn how to pack the pipe. Some blends need drying, plenty don't. Always check the draw before lighting it up if you don't feel a little resistance then it is too loose and it will burn hot and could make you lose flavor. If you pack it to tight, then take a pipe cleaner run it into the bottom of the bowl, twist it and then check it. I never light a bowl if I have not tested the draw. People seem to be so much in a hurry that they are not doing the little things that can make your bowl smoke great. There is a lot of advice on the web that in my opinion will make your pipe smoke like carp. I am sorry to the cob crowd that I don't think you are doing anyone any favors. Quality briar is what I was told and since I had such great success, I have passed that along. As far as tobacco. A nice mild Virginia like Capstan Blue Flake or Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed are both nice tasty mild Virginia's. For any ex cigar smokers I would go with Solani 633 and learn both the cube cut methods or the Fold and Stuff Method. Buying a basket pipe with tobacco like Smokers Pride is not my idea of how to learn to smoke a pipe. There will be plenty of people who will disagree with me, but that is why you asked for opinions.

Merk3030

Tripe Leader
Patron
So...I found that if you were a collector of anything before coming to pipes...that whatever you collected prior was just an appetizer. Being someone who “collects” stuff and then happens on pipe smoking is...well...how can I say “in for it.” But in a good way. PAD and TAD is real. I am two years in and went from a no name meer that I smoked a few pouches of Captain Black though to having ??? number of pipes and three totes full of tobacco. And I am a piker compared to most of my tobacco smoking brethren here..it’s a wonderful thing.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
So after lurking and reading here and anywhere else i could scour information from I set off to buy my first pipe. My friend had lent me his cob pipe and although a little worn (pardon the pun, gave me my first tase for pipes.) Ive been rolling and stuffing my own for about 15 or so years and that left me with no idea as to the plethora of options out there. Somehow i ended up with about 12 or so 4oz pouches of different flavored/style tobacco and then I went looking for a decent pipe that i wouldn't be upset about if i messed up so i grabbed a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes and a Savenelli "beginner" pipe. Anyway.... I ended up with 3 cob pipes (in case i loose, break or give them away) and what started as this......
View attachment 86303

Turned out into this....
View attachment 86304

And this,
View attachment 86305

so now i have a ton of tobacco, supplies and cleaning stuff and my bank account thanks you.

:noob::startle:

Edit: I'm sorry, i tried to set them as thumbnails but full sized pics AND thumbnails came out.

P.s. I'm rather enjoying this pastime so far. Thank all of you.

Andy

So...I found that if you were a collector of anything before coming to pipes...that whatever you collected prior was just an appetizer. Being someone who “collects” stuff and then happens on pipe smoking is...well...how can I say “in for it.” But in a good way. PAD and TAD is real. I am two years in and went from a no name meer that I smoked a few pouches of Captain Black though to having ??? number of pipes and three totes full of tobacco. And I am a piker compared to most of my tobacco smoking brethren here..it’s a wonderful thing.
Oh, the trouble I get in..... LOL