You people!!!

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
So after lurking and reading here and anywhere else i could scour information from I set off to buy my first pipe. My friend had lent me his cob pipe and although a little worn (pardon the pun, gave me my first tase for pipes.) Ive been rolling and stuffing my own for about 15 or so years and that left me with no idea as to the plethora of options out there. Somehow i ended up with about 12 or so 4oz pouches of different flavored/style tobacco and then I went looking for a decent pipe that i wouldn't be upset about if i messed up so i grabbed a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes and a Savenelli "beginner" pipe. Anyway.... I ended up with 3 cob pipes (in case i loose, break or give them away) and what started as this......
View attachment 86303

Turned out into this....
View attachment 86304

And this,
View attachment 86305

so now i have a ton of tobacco, supplies and cleaning stuff and my bank account thanks you.

:noob::startle:

Edit: I'm sorry, i tried to set them as thumbnails but full sized pics AND thumbnails came out.

P.s. I'm rather enjoying this pastime so far. Thank all of you.
And so it begins.........

Andy

So...I found that if you were a collector of anything before coming to pipes...that whatever you collected prior was just an appetizer. Being someone who “collects” stuff and then happens on pipe smoking is...well...how can I say “in for it.” But in a good way. PAD and TAD is real. I am two years in and went from a no name meer that I smoked a few pouches of Captain Black though to having ??? number of pipes and three totes full of tobacco. And I am a piker compared to most of my tobacco smoking brethren here..it’s a wonderful thing.
Ugg.....
Just bought two more pipes....and about 15 more samples of different tobacco, both tinned. and bulk. I really wanted to try Navy flake but Navy anything is nowhere to be found. You people are getting me into so much trouble! My bank account is seriously suffering, I seem to have accumulated about 30 blends so far and there's still so much I want to try........

Two new pipes....
0A28CDFF-0364-49AB-9C34-2A0B2B2728B8.jpeg 099A4995-464D-4615-A73D-1AA7EB7DC836.jpeg

SaintWilliam

Sales
Ugg.....
Just bought two more pipes....and about 15 more samples of different tobacco, both tinned. and bulk. I really wanted to try Navy flake but Navy anything is nowhere to be found. You people are getting me into so much trouble! My bank account is seriously suffering, I seem to have accumulated about 30 blends so far and there's still so much I want to try........

Two new pipes....
View attachment 96330 View attachment 96331

Is that a Neerup? I was waiting for a more conventionally proportioned one to pop up. If it is one, I sure glad you bought it. I’m up a few pipes right now and adding another to the stable would not go well with Mrs. Patient and understand as she is... and she is very there has got to be a line somewhere.... right?

Andy

Is that a Neerup? I was waiting for a more conventionally proportioned one to pop up. If it is one, I sure glad you bought it. I’m up a few pipes right now and adding another to the stable would not go well with Mrs. Patient and understand as she is... and she is very there has got to be a line somewhere.... right?
The top one is a Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation: Burnt Sienna (2012) and the bottom one is a Savinelli Tre Smooth (606 KS). To be honest I really didn't like the 4th gen at first but it kept calling me and I fell in love with it. And now thanks to someone else posting a link to an Italian website im truly in love with this one... Castello - 'Aristocratica' KK Shape 65 .... ugg I cant afford it even though its almost half the price from them as it is from smoking pipes for a lesser grade.....

Last edited:

SaintWilliam

Sales
The top one is a Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation: Burnt Sienna (2012) and the bottom one is a Savinelli Tre Smooth (606 KS). To be honest I really didn't like the 4th gen at first but it kept calling me and I fell in love with it. And now thanks to someone else posting a link to an Italian website im truly in love with this one... Castello - 'Aristocratica' KK Shape 65 .... ugg I cant afford it even though its almost half the price from them as it is from smoking pipes for a lesser grade.....
Ah yes, it’s a Peder Jeppson he makes Neerup and some 4th gens. Glad you got.

As far as pipes go... if you can afford to buy it twice you can’t afford it... I think Jay-Z said that. Who cares about grades and prices and all that stuff. It may be half the price of what you can get here but it’s still Infinitely more expensive that not buying it. Remember your not saving half the price you are spending your money.

They are beautiful things that we all enjoy here but they are not worth paying years of interest or anything like that.

I have bought pipes with money I shouldn’t have and in the end I don’t love those pipes in the same way that I do my freely purchased ones. PAD is real but you’ll find many of us here don’t have a massive collection and are happy with a bunch of Grabows and Cobs :)

Full disclosure I love my castellos and Charatan’s and my new Radice but I also love my old Brigham and old Butz Choquin.

Don’t the desire for MORE over shadow good sense.

Andy

Ah yes, it’s a Peder Jeppson he makes Neerup and some 4th gens. Glad you got.

As far as pipes go... if you can afford to buy it twice you can’t afford it... I think Jay-Z said that. Who cares about grades and prices and all that stuff. It may be half the price of what you can get here but it’s still Infinitely more expensive that not buying it. Remember your not saving half the price you are spending your money.

They are beautiful things that we all enjoy here but they are not worth paying years of interest or anything like that.

I have bought pipes with money I shouldn’t have and in the end I don’t love those pipes in the same way that I do my freely purchased ones. PAD is real but you’ll find many of us here don’t have a massive collection and are happy with a bunch of Grabows and Cobs :)

Full disclosure I love my castellos and Charatan’s and my new Radice but I also love my old Brigham and old Butz Choquin.

Don’t the desire for MORE over shadow good sense.
Sound advice, thank you. I have a bad habit of jumping in the deep end without looking when I get into something new. Ive gotten better over the years but still get carried away from time to time. I'm assuming you meant to say "If you. can't afford" and that makes good sense. I'm a little pipe happy right now because there are so many that I like but I seriously doubt ill be buying another one soon. When my package arrives I'll have four nice pipes.... I imagine that should hold me for a while.

Derby

Ugg.....

Two new pipes....
Oh, it’s a slippery slope,

Bach6032

It is a slippery slope, indeed, and one on which you'll be happy to be sliding around. I bought my first pipe in about 1973 and quickly after that bought a Stanwell freehand--one of the Very Best Pipes in my collection. But I'll underscore what others have said/will say to you: cobs. Honest to Pete, I keep finding myself reaching for my MM Generals (there are three at this point) because they're light, they hold a goodly amount of tobacco and they have such an open and easy draw. The briars in my collection are handsome, well made and good smokers but...

I have the feeling that a cob is sometimes unjustly relegated to a lower "Don't-Worry-About-Losing-or-Breaking-It" status. But if you were the tobacco itself, you might chose to carry out your mission in life in a corn cob pipe.

Last edited:

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
Your first pipe should be a really good pipe like a Savinelli that goes for 80-150.
I couldn't agree more. I started out with some lousy basket briars from the local B&M and burned my tongue and relit so many times I nearly gave up. When I finally got myself a Ropp, a Savinelli, and a good Nording (yes that is a thing), I was off and running!

Good choice on the pipe @Andy , and as far as a good source for information and friends, you couldn't have found a better forum than this one. There's a lot of info, and it can seem overwhelming, but my one piece of advice would be to just take it slow and enjoy.

This was the first 'real' pipe purchase I ever made, and along with this forum, it sent me down a lovely path of a new hobby which taught me patience and to stop and smell the roses.
20170718_163321_HDR.jpg
Four years ago I was in your shoes, and these awesome, mildly crazy degenerates---I mean GREAT FELLAS :sailor:---kindly showed me the ropes. Seriously, this is a wonderful forum. Welcome!

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
Ugg.....

Two new pipes....
We’re happy with you and for you. You got two stunners right there. Great purchase.👍👍👍