Your favorite lesser known tobacco?

kevcamp1979

Sales
If you like a little cherry, Gawith Hoggarth’s American Black Cherry gives you that sweetness wrapped up in some quality leaf. Not to mention, it is usually available when you look for it. I believe it is the same formulation as Top Black Cherry.
I've wondered if that was the case. I had a sample of Top Black Cherry given to me and it was very nice, but I have not ventured to try American Black Cherry because I wasn't sure it was the same. If someone can confirm this, I'd have another reason to buy more tobacco...anyone?

Greenbriar

If you like a little cherry, Gawith Hoggarth’s American Black Cherry gives you that sweetness wrapped up in some quality leaf. Not to mention, it is usually available when you look for it. I believe it is the same formulation as Top Black Cherry.
I tried Top Black Cherry when I was still relatively new to pipe smoking based on a recommendation here (well, actually at PSF). I was not prepared for it.

Great cherry flavor but it put me on the couch and the room was spinning. I'm not saying that will happen to you but don't approach it like you would a low-N american aromatic

Greenbriar

4th Generation 1989

I hesitate to post this for two reasons.

Reason one is that it is one of the few virginia flakes still selling for less than ten dollars a tin, and I don't want everyone to go buying it and drive up the price.

Reason two is that I haven't technically smoked it yet.

Reason Two might cause some of you to raise a few eyebrows, and I understand that. But I love straight virginias and was born in 89 so I decided to buy some to smoke on my birthday (which hasn't happened yet). Well I am sticking to my delayed gratification but you know I did have to open the tin and put it in a jar, gonna have to do that anyway and some blends actually need that brief contact with oxygen after coming out of the tin to really develop.

I went and ordered another tin based on the tin note alone.

I still haven't tried it (my birthday is later this month). It could be that I'm stupid and will have to eat my words and trade it all for Mac Baren virginia flake or sutliff 507c but even if it doesn't turn out to be a nirvana smoke I really can't see how I won't find it at least worth smoking for 9 bucks and change for 1.75 oz. I mean it's not like it's coming from C&D...

Friendly Piper

Patron
never said it was favorite of all time. I thought this thread was bout under the radar blends we like. Sure I haven't tried it but I feel it's pretty under the radar
You favorite tobacco of all time...you never smoked...LOVE IT!

I stand by Andy’s comment—whether it’s your all-time fave or a lesser-known fave, it’s still something you have the willpower not to try. That’s just cool.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Sales
Old Ted Award
Does 4noggins still sell the John Patton‘s blends? Storm Front was a favorite of mine for awhile.

Relight

I don't see it mentioned. Perhaps too pedestrian.

But a McClelland fan might enjoy Sutliff 515- RC1 Mature Red VA and 507-S Stoved VA. Both really nice on their own and fantastic mixers.

Don't believe me. Believe @JimInks . His reviews got me to try them and now I have several pounds.

Greenbriar

I don't see it mentioned. Perhaps too pedestrian.

But a McClelland fan might enjoy Sutliff 515- RC1 Mature Red VA and 507-S Stoved VA. Both really nice on their own and fantastic mixers.

Don't believe me. Believe @JimInks . His reviews got me to try them and now I have several pounds.
Yup and combine a bit of the stoved with the red and throw in some Turkish and perique. Let sit six months and enjoy

Chico

OGS does kind of suck
I've wondered if that was the case. I had a sample of Top Black Cherry given to me and it was very nice, but I have not ventured to try American Black Cherry because I wasn't sure it was the same. If someone can confirm this, I'd have another reason to buy more tobacco...anyone?
Nope, different blend. Top BC is an all-dark, dense semi-flake (the tin I had may have been an anomaly, though, because it's apparently supposed to be ribbon cut. Mine was basically a clump). My guess is that it's just black cav made from VA, no burley. The topping is prominent and a bit floral in addition to the cherry. It is definitely worth trying. One of those totally unique blends. I like it mixed with Ennerdale, which I admit is kind of depraved.

Top Bottom