Your GoTo pipe tools.

User15

I used to swear by my folding Rogers poker & tamper & previously other folding tools, now I use two Draper screwdrivers one broken short, the handle end plastic ground down to fit narrower diameter bowls for tampering.
My technique is not to pack carefully & tamper like a packhorse , but to load like a cannon, then stoke & poke with a poker, the screwdrivers unlike the folding tools give more leverage. I then blow down the pipe if the surface of the tobacco shows that it is blowing, there is a good chance it will draw, I tamper then char if it still blows, I light, then there is a good chance it will puff without relights. It often works for me indoors & outdoors in our temperate climate This works even with traditional moist tobaccos like flakes, plugs & ropes, often without relights, but that depends on the moisture level of the environment.
The longer screwdriver is useful for poking down the shank of longer shanks like Canadians & the shorter screwdriver the shanks of regular pipes.
I blow on the separated stem each time I light a pipe to be sure it is clear, otherwise I use a pipe cleaner on the stem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drydock

I never worry about my czech tool. Consequently, I've never lost it or misplaced it. But that one fancy knife I had that cost me a whole lot of working hours? Yep, lost that. My junkie box cutter--have had it for years! So czech tool for the win. Simple, humble, works (well enough for me)--I won't cry any tears if I lose it. Cheap to replace. Also, I like it.

But...don't tell my czech tool, I do have a deco8 tamper that's great. Has a stabber/jabby thing that unscrews from main body and the tamper area has a ring of holes around the edge to let some air through. Classy, compact. High likelihood that I will misplace it.

User15

I never worry about my czech tool. Consequently, I've never lost it or misplaced it. But that one fancy knife I had that cost me a whole lot of working hours? Yep, lost that. My junkie box cutter--have had it for years! So czech tool for the win. Simple, humble, works (well enough for me)--I won't cry any tears if I lose it. Cheap to replace. Also, I like it.

But...don't tell my czech tool, I do have a deco8 tamper that's great. Has a stabber/jabby thing that unscrews from main body and the tamper area has a ring of holes around the edge to let some air through. Classy, compact. High likelihood that I will misplace it.
I'd go for a screw or a nail rather than a bendy costly Czech tool if I were counting the cost myself sir, if I may say.πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜‡πŸ™

User15

My finger, 9/10 times. Pipe cleaners if I get a gurgle. The Laguiole looks nice on my shelf next to my Castello tamper, though.

If they ever allow smoking in public again, and if I ever somehow end up at a black tie event, boy howdy I'm ready.
I clench a pipe everywhere legal or illegal, only I don't light up in illegal places, under close scrutiny of the uniformed bouncers...
::ass::πŸ˜‡πŸ™πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ₯ƒ

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Iβ€˜ve got My filling technique kind of automated now. NΓΆ thoughts necessary and no tamping needed.

Hardly ever do any tamping but a light touch with My Index finger during smokes. Always have that with me :):mystery: so no troubles.

I love the astetics of my stainless steel tamper but I am done tamping with my finger before I could reach for any tool.

User15

Iβ€˜ve got My filling technique kind of automated now. NΓΆ thoughts necessary and no tamping needed.

Hardly ever do any tamping but a light touch with My Index finger during smokes. Always have that with me :):mystery: so no troubles.

I love the astetics of my stainless steel tamper but I am done tamping with my finger before I could reach for any tool.
I used to have the knack filling a bowl without thinking about it then feely feely with my finger, but for some reason now I have to use the above technique, I think it is because I only used to smoke one or two pipes for decades, but now I use so many different styles & materials of pipes in my rotation, I struggled a bit & use the load then stoke & poke with blow & draw technique. :mystery::sf1: Would Sherlock say it is a mystery or a science & art ?