Your Sacred Smoking Spaces

mattia76

Just made a new post to my blog at PipesBikesandLeather.com. By all means, read the long form of it there at let me know what you think.

But the short from is this: I believe there are places in this world called Sacred Smoking Spaces.
Places where you consistently encounter the magic and brotherhood of smoking.
My spaces are
-Just For Him in Springfield, MO
-The Albatross in Springfield, MO
-Brother David’s room at the Chicago Pipe Show

What are your Sacred Smoking Spaces?

Mikewood

For me it’s not so much a place but a place in time. Let me explain. In the south we have live oak trees. These are large and often ancient oaks with massive almost mushroom like canopies. Now, there is a point in the evening when the directional light and shadow give way to an indistinct failing light that transitions into twilight and then darkness. The oaks seem to hold this light as it plays across the sky and you can watch the watercolor pink and golds, blues and purples change moment to moment.that’s my pipe time and that’s my sacred place in the cathedral of creation at the close of day.

This very moment is that time. Cheers gentlemen.

mattia76

For me it’s not so much a place but a place in time. Let me explain. In the south we have live oak trees. These are large and often ancient oaks with massive almost mushroom like canopies. Now, there is a point in the evening when the directional light and shadow give way to an indistinct failing light that transitions into twilight and then darkness. The oaks seem to hold this light as it plays across the sky and you can watch the watercolor pink and golds, blues and purples change moment to moment.that’s my pipe time and that’s my sacred place in the cathedral of creation at the close of day.

I love this, Mike. Where are you located that you get to witness this?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Nirvana can be achieved at any moment in any place; the trick is repetition and sustain ;-)

The Grotto at Pheasant Run.
I've made lifelong friends with total strangers just by sitting down next to them.

The Humidor in Monterey
(with @Maddis serenading me)

Right about here:

And my favorite fishing spot on the South Fork of the Trinity River. No photos because one of you wise guys would CSI the pics and show up.

Last edited:

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner

Can’t beat that one! Beautiful image!

scout19d3

I found a spot this afternoon that fits the bill of what you've described. I crossed the Pecos River just before it flows into the Rio Grande east of Langtry Texas on Hwy90. I remembered a spot with a great overlook that I've sat at many times before where I could view the canyon, the road, the bridge, and just kind of relax. I thought to myself, that'll be a great place to sit down and smoke a bowl! So, I doubled back, found my spot, parked my Goldwing, and pulled out my smoking kit.

[Disclaimer: old picture, same location & bridge]
delrio 006.jpg

But when I got there today I couldn't light my pipe because the wind was too strong and there was no cover anywhere

Yakster

Patron
I'm looking forward to an annual gathering of friends from across the country in a carport in Milwaukee for camaraderie, smoke, BBQ, and brews. We've been keeping in touch on a vHerf for years to enjoy a shared smoke and the company of friends, but it's not quite the same as a gathering in real life. (IRL)

NativeTexan

Beautifully written.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Oh my, what a question....

@mattia76 , you like Just For Him? I've been known to haunt that place.

This will most likely seem strange, but I have encountered moments of clarity in the middle of a bowl while being in the most unlikely places of un-zen. When it happens, it's pretty far out. Almost loin warming.

SmokeRings

Patron
I got a spot down on the Columbia that I like pretty good, it's quiet, and it's got a nice sitting rock, and when they are pulling the right amount of water there is a rock jetty that you can catch smallmouth off all day, I have spent many, many days listening to baseball games, smoking, and fishing down there, it's my little grove of happiness

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
I got a spot down on the Columbia that I like pretty good, it's quiet, and it's got a nice sitting rock, and when they are pulling the right amount of water there is a rock jetty that you can catch smallmouth off all day, I have spent many, many days listening to baseball games, smoking, and fishing down there, it's my little grove of happiness
Carver?